Sunday, August 07, 2005

2006 BMW M5





Puntiki:The absolute pinnacle in Sports Sedan motoring has a name: BMW M5. Relatively reserved in its looks, this super-sport sedan is the most sophisticated and powerful 5 Series ever – five liter capacity, 10 cylinders, 500 hp (SAE net) output, 383 lb-ft maximum torque, and engine speeds in excess of 8,000 rpm. The BMW M5 boasts the most innovative drive concept in its class, the best power-to-weight ratio, super-car handling, as well as outstanding everyday driving qualities, I cant wait to get my right foot on top of the accelerator pedal of one of these beasts. 1/4 mile in the 12's and 0-60mph in the 4's. This is the vehicle that sets the benchmark.


Pablo: Yes Puntiki, without a doubt this will be the best sports sedan for some time yet. This car is clearly an iron first wrapped in a velvet glove. BMW, while they may have cocked up the 7-Series in the face of S Class and A8, have a car that indisputably stomps on E55AMG and perhaps even the Audi RS6. I would love to see a time trial test between the Audi, the E55 and BMW. Something for Top Gear perhaps?

As for the BMW's "flame styling", I think the 5 series looks far better the 7, but not as nice as the 6, which is the BMW I most covet at the moment. Roll on the BMW M6!

3 comments:

Rob Good said...

He just oversees the BMW group's design portfolio now. It is other folk who do the designing. I find the car particularly good looking. Wait till you see one in the flesh. Saying that you dont want to buy a new 3 or 5 series because of the design is interesting. Do you prefer looks over safety, handling and performance? If so buy a Accord. The BMW's grow on you when you see them over a period of time. You learn to appreciate them.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I tend to agree. If I HAD to buy this type of car out of necessity, I'd buy the BMW out of sense, not desire. I never question BMW's mechanical prowess, and their reliability in surveys is reassuring. But the looks are enough to turn me off it. I've seen lots of these, but I still don't like it. Regardless of colour. I feel the same about it as a Mk 1 RAV4, never grew on me, but would probably buy one only because it's a Toyota, if I HAD to. It's nice to buy a car superlative to the extremes. But looking at the car, makes me consider how often I actually drive in those situations. I'll probably take a lesser car, or the previous 5-series. Buying a car on looks? For the price you pay, you do expect a bit more than just competence. I must say the new 3-series is not as extreme. I drove a 320i last Thursday night. My thoughts? Wait -- I think this will belong to a different review.

Rob Good said...

I changed the colour slightly especially for you. Notice the blue, and the occasional yellow car....