Tuesday, August 05, 2008

2008 Fiat 500 Abarth


As far as small cars go I have to rate this right at the top.
This car marks the return of Italian car maker Fiat to the world of compact sports cars getting away from the boring econovans and I have to say, what a pearl.
It's front engine FWD turbo I4 tapping out 135bhp at max gives this little gem a top speed of 127mph. The 500 Abarth is a compact car with a subtle attitude saying "yes, see me, luuuv me" which gives this wee tot almost a soul.
Looking at this car I just can't help myself from wanting one, but at the same time I can't find myself behind the wheel of one. Maybe your wife might be better suited to zip up the road to your mothers to retrieve the home baked apple pie. Yet the more I look at it the more intrigued I am to test drive it when it lands in NZ.
It has an estimated fuel consumption of 33mpg which to say if your mother in-law was behind the wheel that maybe the case. The average kiwi bloke in a small manual sports car couldn't help but throttle it racing thru the gears and in the spirit of the upcoming Olympics, GO FOR GOLD. Peace of mind comes in the knowledge that it will meet with Euro 5 legislation so would be the perfect car for Beijing clearing the air for our sports atheletes.
In closing, there's just something about this car I just cant put my finger on but would love to have one...maybe at some point.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bad boy version of what is a soulful reproduction of a classic. I've seen a few of the normal ones, and the mere cleanliness of the design, devoid of headlamps that reach back halfway to the A-pillar, uber-busy skeleton tail lights, and a mature yet interesting dashboard design, to me make it an endearing personality more than the Mini. The proportions are all correct, wouldn't mind one. The Abarth, well, it has the horses that would make this puppy really growl, and surely a chassis upgrade that gives it surefooted handling. But visually it's just a little too visible for my taste.

Rob Good said...

I saw a few 500's when I was in Italy. This Abarth looks fantastic...Roll em out.

Mike J. Stark said...

I have to say I dislike the look of the 500 but this one just has something about it. Best I can put it down is that it would be like having a crush on Britney Spears and taking it out for a ride but not wanting to own the full package.

Anonymous said...

I agree this Abarth looks fantabuluous!