Sunday, October 16, 2005

The 1959 Cadillac...

The 1959 Caddy had it all, looks, performance, and comfort. It stood as the ultimate symbol of success, impressive and indeed controversial. The outrageous tail fins and jet pod taillights evoked either a love it or leave it attitude with the public at the time. I love it and if they were not $125,000 US for a good convertible, then I'd be having one take up two carparks in my garage as I am writing this.

They made 11,130 of the Cadillac 62 Convertibles in 1959, they had a curb weight of 4855 lbs (2202kg), a price of $5,455 and a 390 ci V8 powering the massive automobile with 325hp. Elivis never had a '59 as he was in the army at the time and liked to take delivery of new cars, but I am sure that king himself would agree that the 1959 Cadillac is the best of them all.

They sure don't make cars like they used too.

7 comments:

Aaron Bhatnagar said...

I think Rodney Hide blogged the pink Caddy owned by his friend David Henderson (not the celebrity coke user)

Rob Good said...

Oh I remember that..... I particularly like the 59 convertible. It is the sort of car you can fit 10 of your best friends in and go to the beach in comfort and style.

Rob Good said...

You'll find Caddy owners all over the world, the most desired old Cadillac seems to be the 59. It is rumored that Harley Earl ( GM chief designer ) was in Europe when the 59 Caddy was signed off, otherwise we may have never seen it....?

Anonymous said...

Looks nice in red, but perhaps I'd have mine in magnolia or buttermilk with the red interior.

Rob Good said...

Buttermilk was called Persian sand.

Anonymous said...

How can you not love this car?

Rob Good said...

Exactly Anonymous.